How can I go about getting an Interpreter?

What do I need to be aware of when getting an interpreter?
What is the going rate for interpreters pay?


The Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (NCDHH) offers a statewide sign language interpreter referral service. The Commission maintains a list of qualified sign language interpreters. They are responsible for taking interpreter requests and referring interpreting assignments to private practice interpreters. They are also available to answer questions you may have related to interpreting services.


Interpreters in private practice settle their own fees, hours, and schedules. NCDHH works closely with area interpreters to become familiar with their fee scale, but they do not determine the fees that they charge. NCDHH recommends contacting the interpreter who accepted the assignment to discuss fees prior to the assignment.


To request a copy of the handbook, or to request assistance in finding an interpreter, contact the Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at:


Lincoln Office Omaha Office
4600 Valley Road Ste. 420 1313 Farnam On The Mall
Lincoln, NE. 68510 Omaha, NE. 68102-1836
(402) 471-3593
Outside Lincoln/Omaha area: 1-800-545-6244