What happens if I disagree with a decision made by my counselor?

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a neutral agency available to help you with any questions or concerns regarding your services with NCBVI. CAP will work with you to help answer any of your questions and help resolve your concerns by talking with you and your counselor. You can contact CAP at 800-742-7594 or (402) 471-3656 and ask for Victoria Rasmussen.